Turn your ideas into a reality with the LongMill Benchtop CNC MK2
What sets the LongMill apart:
- Simple and reliable design ➜ custom aluminum extrusions and thick steel gantries make for a rigid and dependable machine
- Lead screw driven on all axes
- Mounts directly to any surface you wish ➜ freedom to integrate clamps or custom jigs that suit your work style
- Tall cutting height ➜ don’t be limited when you want to cut large, intricate 3D surfaces or flatten large lumber slabs
- Proudly made in Canada (power brick is for 110V/120V 50Hz/60Hz)
The LongMill helps you take your woodworking and fabrication to the next level. Its range of workable materials includes any species of wood, a variety of plastics, soft metals like aluminum and brass, and a variety of machinable foams and waxes for model making or metal casting. Make signs, engravings, mid-size furniture, stands and shelves, wooden toys and games, guitar bodies, and much more! (see more in our Gallery)
We offer our machine because CNC technology opens up a whole new world of making capabilities, especially to those who have a limited shop environment or budget. Our goal is to empower you by giving you access to both a machine that’s capable of a wide range of projects and by assuring you of the assistance that you’ll receive from our team as well as our ever-growing community of machine owners: many of whom started off green to the world of CNC as well but are now happy to share what they’ve learned along the way. (see our Facebook group and Forum). We provide a complete set of resources and instructions to get you on your way to running your first job on your machine.
We designed the LongMill to be the best hobby CNC router in its class, offering rigidity, and reliability, while being easy to put together. With large extruded aluminum rails, fully supported Y-axes, 1/4″ steel gantries on all axes, and high precision MG-12 type linear guides on the Z-axis, the LongMill MK2 is the most powerful CNC router in its class and price point.
Every kit comes with all the…
- Hardware, rails, lead screws, and gantries
- Control box, wires, and motors
- Assembly instructions (online)
Assembly only takes a few hours and can be done with a set of wrenches, Allen keys, and a flat head screwdriver. There is absolutely no soldering. We’ve spent thousands of hours designing and testing the LongMill to ensure that this machine is easy to put together. If you can put together IKEA furniture, then putting together the LongMill will be a breeze.
What do you provide?
- Your own wasteboard/spoilboard (found at your local hardware store). This is the surface that you’ll be mounting your machine to. See the ‘Size’ tab above for more info.
- A router (purchase one from us, use one you already have, or find one at your local hardware store/online)*
- Tools to assemble the machine (wrenches, Allen keys, flat head screwdriver)
For routers, we recommend the Makita RT0700/RT0701. It’s reliable, powerful, is speed-adjustable to a large range (10-30K RPM), and its uniform outer body allows for versatile z-axis mounting. We’ve been using the Makita on our CNC machines for years. The LongMill MK2 comes free as standard with a 65mm router mount, which is compatible with the Makita RT0700/RT0701 and most variations of this router design. If you wish to use a different size router or spindle, please check out the other sizes that we offer.
*Routers that we supply will be 110V only (North America). If you live in a country that uses a different voltage, please purchase a router in your region.
The LongMill comes with free software and is compatible with dozens of other paid and free software. Try our Toolchain Wizard to get a quick recommendation for software that may work best for you.
– Laser-cut, 1/4″ steel gantry plates for high rigidity
– Custom-designed, high rigidity extruded aluminum rails on the X and Y axis and MGN12 linear guides on Z-axis
– Delrin V wheels with variable eccentric nuts
– 4-start, 2mm pitch, 8mm diameter ACME lead screw for high torque and fast movement
– NEMA 23 stepper motors on all axis
– 3D printed and aluminum parts
– Mount for Makita RT0701C routers, or request a custom mount size
– 24V power supply (only compatible with North American voltages 110V-120V)
– Arduino board loaded with GRBL firmware
– 4A TB6600 drivers
Our machine uses open-source hardware and firmware, letting users build and modify their machines. Not only that, many of our components are standard and easy to source or 3D printable, making replacing parts easy.
*Router adapters can only be made in sizes between 52 and 80mm.