Turn your ideas into a reality with the LongMill Benchtop CNC MK2
The LongMill helps you take your woodworking and fabrication to the next level. Its range of workable materials includes any species of wood, a variety of plastics, soft metals like aluminum and brass, and a variety of machinable foams and waxes for model making or metal casting. Make signs, engravings, mid-size furniture, stands and shelves, wooden toys and games, guitar bodies, and much more! (see more in our Gallery)
We offer our machine because CNC technology opens up a whole new world of making capabilities, especially to those who have a limited shop environment or budget. Our goal is to empower you by giving you access to both a machine that’s capable of a wide range of projects and by assuring you of the assistance that you’ll receive from our team as well as our ever-growing community of machine owners: many of whom started off green to the world of CNC as well but are now happy to share what they’ve learned along the way. (see our Facebook group and Forum). We provide a complete set of resources and instructions to get you on your way to running your first job on your machine.
We designed the LongMill to be the best hobby CNC router in its class, offering rigidity, and reliability, while being easy to put together. With large extruded aluminum rails, fully supported Y-axes, 1/4″ steel gantries on all axes, and high precision MG-12 type linear guides on the Z-axis, the LongMill MK2 is the most powerful CNC router in its class and price point.
Every kit comes with all the…
- Hardware, rails, lead screws, and gantries
- Control box, wires, and motors
- Instructions (to be completed at the end of Jan 2022)
Assembly only takes a few hours and can be done with a set of wrenches, Allen keys, and a flat head screwdriver. There is absolutely no soldering. We’ve spent thousands of hours designing and testing the LongMill to ensure that this machine is easy to put together. If you can put together IKEA furniture, then putting together the LongMill will be a breeze.
What do you provide?
- Your own wasteboard/spoilboard (found at your local hardware store), this is the surface that you’ll be mounting your machine to. See the ‘Size’ tab above for more info.
- A router (purchase one from us, use one you already have, or find one at your local hardware store/online)*
- Tools to assemble the machine (wrenches, Allen keys, flat head screwdriver)
For routers, we recommend the Makita RT0700/RT0701. It’s reliable, powerful, is speed-adjustable to a large range (10-30K RPM), and its uniform outer body allows for versatile z-axis mounting. We’ve been using the Makita on our CNC machines for years.
There are some other compatible trim routers on the market that you could use – bear in mind we haven’t tested any of these in-depth:
- Dewalt DWP611 (uses 71mm mount)
- Carbide 3D Compact Router (uses 65mm mount)
- Avid Power MW104 (uses 65mm mount)
- MLCS Rocky 30 9056 (uses 65mm mount)
- Ridgid R2401 (needs to adapt from 61mm to our 80mm mount to clear it’s ~6x15mm protruding body notch)
- Bosch Colt PR20EVS (uses 71mm mount but sits much higher up than normal, you’ll have to space up your material)
- Bosch Colt GKF125 (needs to adapt from 72mm to our 80mm mount, also sits much higher up than normal)
The LongMill can accommodate bore sizes of 52, 65, 71, and 80mm, Don’t see your router listed? Let us know the diameter of your router so that we can make an adapter.
Please note that routers/spindles which are…
- Over 2.7kg/6lbs
- Wider than 80mm/3″
…may not be compatible. Please message us with your router size if you have a router that isn’t listed.
*Routers that we supply will be 110V only (North America). If you live in a country that uses a different voltage, please purchase a router in your region. LongMills will come with a power supply that supports both 110V and 220V.
The LongMill comes with free software and is compatible with dozens of other paid and free software. Try our Toolchain Wizard to get a quick recommendation for software that may work best for you.
– Laser cut, 1/4″ steel gantry plates for high rigidity
– Custom-designed, high rigidity extruded aluminum rails on the X and Y axis and MGN12 linear guides on Z-axis
– Delrin V wheels with variable eccentric nuts
– 4-start, 2mm pitch, 8mm diameter ACME lead screw for high torque and fast movement
– NEMA 23 stepper motors on all axis
– 3D printed and aluminum parts
– Mount for Makita RT0701C routers, or request a custom mount size
– 24V power supply (only compatible with North American voltages 110V-120V)
– Arduino board loaded with GRBL firmware
– 4A TB6600 drivers
Our machine uses open-source hardware and firmware, letting users build and modify their machines. Not only that, many of our components are standard and easy to source or 3D printable, making replacing parts easy.
For dimensions of the LongMill MK2, please see our PDF drawings.