Hey everyone, Ikenna here again for another laser update. Since my last update I have been testing supplier parts, finalizing our first PCB designs, testing suppliers and ordering parts for production.
- Copper Heatsink: Design is finalized and sent to the manufacturer
- Aluminum Heatsink: Design is finalized and sent to the manufacturer
- Lens Focus Ring: Design is finalized and sent to the manufacturer
- Air Assist: I have updated the design but more fit testing is needed
- T-mount: Design is completed, if there is time I will redesign a magnetic mount
- Laser Driver: I have our first 2 pcb driver designs. Will be ordering assembled prototypes this week
- Laser Driver Enclosure: Now that I have a few pcb designs, I will begin designing an enclosure
- Safety Goggles:Testing safety goggles is complete and I will be looking to place an order in the next week.
- To summarize the testing procedure: I used a laser power meter to measure optical power and then ran the same test with the safety goggle lens between the laser power meter and the laser. This effectively tested how much optical power made it through each lens of the safety goggle. Although most suppliers kept it under the FDA recommended limit of 5mw, there was one supplier that stood out.
- Lenses: I have narrowed it down to 2 suppliers, will have a supplier selected by the end of this week
- Fans: I have tested our fan supplier and am happy with the results. Our main fan selection needs more testing to find the perfect noise output to heat exhausting balance. Trying to make sure the main fan we select isn’t noisier than it has to be.
- Power supply: I am finalizing the connector type that is needed for the power supply. Will have samples ordered and tested next.
- Laser Diodes: We placed our first order of diodes this week. I will continue to look for backup suppliers so that we can keep up with any future demand if needed.
- Aluminum Heatsink: Order has been placed for our very own aluminum heatsink design
- Copper Heatsink: Order has been placed for our very own copper heatsink design
- Lens Focus Ring: Order has been placed for our very own lens focus ring design
Pre Order Launch:
Our Pre order page will launch May 14th, price is set to $400CAD for the module + $60CAD for the safety goggles. Each laser will include 1 lens with the option to purchase more. Here are some of the things we still have to finalize:
- Photorealistic product renders
- Finalizing a product name
- Introductory resources so you may begin preparing to operate your laser module.
Just like this update, all future laser updates will be sent out directly to the mailing list as well as posted publicly to the Sienci blog & Facebook group
Stay up to date by signing up for
If you missed the last update, check it out here: https://sienci.com/2021/04/12/laser-development-update/