Buying a second-hand LongMill can be an excellent way to get into CNCing on a budget. We believe that buying a used LongMill is one of the best purchases that can be made used, because:
- All of our resources and online communities can be accessed for free without limitation
- Our designs are open source, so you can replace and update parts as you see fit
- Accessories such as the Vortex Rotary Axis and LaserBeam are designed to be compatible with all generations of LongMill
- We provide replacement parts for LongMills readily available in our store
- Besides the consumable parts, the LongMill is designed to run for many many years and have a very low cost of operation
The LongMill only has a few wear/consumable components, such as the V-wheels and Anti-backlash nuts which need to be replaced, at a very reasonable price.
It should be noted that there are a few things you should know before making the purchase:
- We only provide technical support and warranty service for the original purchaser. You may need to purchase replacement parts out of pocket and use our online resources for support instead
- There have been many changes and updates to the LongMill over the years, especially between the MK1 and MK2 generations. You may get outdated hardware that may not have the same level of performance as the latest version of the machine.
We’d recommend making sure you have some budget to account for replacing wear components and know which version of the LongMill you’re getting so that you can find the correct resources and assembly instructions for it. Otherwise, we hope you get a great deal!